Thread: Peter Arthur Gearing

Ensign Peter Arthur Gearing

We have been informed that Peter Gearing who served as an ERA in Lowestoft 'crossed the bar' on the 28th of May 2022 at the age of 82 in Florida USA.
    Pete joined the RN as an Articifer Apprentice in 1955 and served in HMS Forth, Hermes and Lowestoft before joining submarines where he served in Odin, Osiris and Superb retiring from the RN in 1988 and settling in the USA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ensign[1].gif 
Views:	36 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	5140
    "Do the right thing, even when no one is watching . . . It’s called integrity." ​

Heald Green Cheshire NOT Greater Manchester!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianmac View Post
    We have been informed that Peter Gearing who served as an ERA in Lowestoft 'crossed the bar' on the 28th of May 2022 at the age of 82 in Florida USA.
    Pete joined the RN as an Articifer Apprentice in 1955 and served in HMS Forth, Hermes and Lowestoft before joining submarines where he served in Odin, Osiris and Superb retiring from the RN in 1988 and settling in the USA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ensign[1].gif 
Views:	36 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	5140
    Sorry to hear that news Ian,do you know which commission he was on the Lowie, his name sounds familiar to me.

RIP Peter.
    "Wot,no Airlocks on the Lowie!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by loftysmudge View Post
    Sorry to hear that news Ian,do you know which commission he was on the Lowie, his name sounds familiar to me. RIP Peter.
    I haven't got the dates Peter served in Lowestoft but by deduction I would make it during the 60's so he may have been onboard during your time as an ERA. (I can't find his name on any of the commissioning booklets we have, but he could easily have joined mid-commission therefore not appear on the crew lists)
    "Do the right thing, even when no one is watching . . . It’s called integrity." ​

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmac View Post
    I haven't got the dates Peter served in Lowestoft but by deduction I would make it during the 60's so he may have been onboard during your time as an ERA. (I can't find his name on any of the commissioning booklets we have, but he could easily have joined mid-commission therefore not appear on the crew lists)
    Thanks Ian, I served with him somewhere but can't remember where.

Funnily enough when I read of his death in the latest Lowdown I thought the same, that his name was familiar. So he may very well have been onboard during our time Lofty.

Quote Originally Posted by revbluejeans View Post
    Funnily enough when I read of his death in the latest Lowdown I thought the same, that his name was familiar. So he may very well have been onboard during our time Lofty.
    It was either on the Lowestoft or he was one of my instructor's at Sultan in the late '60s, for the life of me I can't remember.